Tuesday 14 February 2017

Recipe: Chocolate protein mug cake

Everyone who knows me will know that I have a very big sweet tooth... Chocolate, cake, cookies, ice-cream, they are all my weaknesses! There's no chance I could ever cut out those types of foods completely, so I find alternatives which will fit my macro-nutrient requirements more efficiently, and ways to increase my protein intake.

I like to make 'microwave mug cakes' whenever I get cravings for something cakey and delicious - they're super easy to make and only take a few minutes. I started playing around with recipes tweaking this and that, and have settled on this one being my favourite. It's flourless (gluten free), super low in fat and carbs and packs a high protein punch too (full nutritional details at the bottom of the post).

Ingredients:
  • 1 scoop whey protein (I use PHD Nutrition Diet Whey - Chocolate Peanut flavour)
  • 0.25 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 large egg white
  • 2 tbsp milk of your choice (I use unsweetened almond milk)
  • Sweetener to taste (I use 2x Splenda sachets)
Method:
  • Combine all the dry ingredients in a mug
  • Add the egg white and milk and mix until a smooth mixture is formed
  • Put in the microwave for 1 - 1.5 min
  • Tip out onto a plate to serve, or just eat it from the mug to save on washing up!
Protein mug cake

Serve with toppings of your choice, I like raspberries, Greek yogurt, peanut butter or even a scoop of ice-cream!

I find the texture of the cake to be almost brownie like rather than light and fluffy, but to me that just makes it taste more decadent!

Nutritional info per serving:
7.1g carbohydrate / 2.4g fat / 21.8g protein
147 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment